Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Winter Brassicas

Last years silverbeet bed now ready for winter caulis and brocs. As I handn't walked on this bed it only needed a light hoeing, then generous ammounts of well rotted cow manure and a decent sprinkling of blood and bone.





6 meters of 15mm PVC pipe was cut and joined with a sundry of bits and pieces, and capped at the ends. I didn't glue the pieces together for ease of cleaning the pipes and for access in case roots get into them. Tiny, and I mean tiny, holes drilled 20cm apart for the drip line. Now all I need to do is fill the pipe from the standining entry point, which minimises bending and allows me to see if it needs topping up.




The pipe is semi buried in the soil and mulched to the max. All I need to do now is plant it out, then it's on to the other half of the bed, being the closest to the back stairs it will remain the cooking herbs bed (just got to get rid of the feral pumpkin).



3 comments:

melissa said...

hello Shell bell
THanks for your link on GA . NIce to have a peek into your garden ..I"ll be back
sweetpea

orchid40 said...

Your watering system is well thought out Shell Bell, I hope it works as well as it should. (And I hope you get enough water to use it !!)
O40

Anonymous said...

Nice watering system, very innovative :-)